|Capt. James Felix Tucker
(1844-1930) born on December 2, 1844 in New Albany, Indiana just
opposite of Louisville, Kentucky. After the death of his father,
Tucker ran away at an early age and engaged in steam boating on the
Mississippi River. In 1852 he moved to Florida and settled in Madison,
Jefferson County. In 1855 Tucker was awarded a mail route contract with
his steamer "Madison". With this contract Tucker delivered the mail by
steamer to both Columbus and Bayport, FL. The 1860 census for
Jefferson County shows Tucker was living next to the Col. William J.
Tucker enlisted on July 12, 1861 at Jacksonville with the Confederate States Army and in July of 1862 was appointed 2nd Sergent. By July of 1863 Tucker had be promoted all the way to Captain of Co. D of the 9th FL Battalion in Duval County. Tucker served under Capt. George W. Call, Col. George Ward and Col. John Martin; all prominent figures in Florida's Civil War History. On June 2, 1864 Capt. Tucker was severely wounded at the Battle of Cold Harbor when he was shot through the thigh. Tucker was discharged and confined to crutches for more than 14 months according to his own writing. According to their marriage license it was on November 10th, 1864 Virginia H. Bailey and James F. Tucker were married at Presbyterian Church in Dioces, FL.
After the war Tucker acquired 800+ acres of property in Hernando County formerly owned by his wifes father, Col. William J. Bailey and located in the Annataligua Hammock. This property eventually wound up in legal debate over the settlement of Bailey's estate where nearly $5,000 in debt had to be settled. Eventually Tucker acquired property holdings in Brooksville where he decided to settle and reside. At this time Tucker was contracted and worked for the Government but his exact position is unknown. Tucker became a well known member of the community and was an active member of the W.W. Loring Confederate Camp No. 13 formed by Frank E. Saxon in Brooksville.
Tucker was a man of small size and only stood 5 foot tall but he was a man with large character. Eventually Tucker and his wife moved from Brooksville to Safety Harbor where they settled and remained. James F. Tucker Jr. continued to reside in Brooksville after his parents moved to Pinellas County. Captain James F. Tucker passed away on July 9, 1913 at his home in Safety Harbor. (Research by Jeff Cannon)